Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA Ontario)
The School of Continuing Studies is the first in Canada to have its courses recognized by CPA Canada’s new National Recognition Standards for Post-Secondary Institutions. The School’s courses meet the pre-requisite requirements for entry into the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP) and by completing them you gain a head start in becoming a CPA.
About the Chartered Professional Accountant of Ontario (CPA Ontario)
Chartered Professional Accountants are trusted by Canada’s business leaders to help make the financial, strategic and leadership decisions that matter. The CPA profession’s commitment to excellence and to the public interest provides the crucial foundation for this trust. In fact, Canadian CPAs are recognized around the world for high professional standards and expertise.
- CPA Ontario protects the public interest by ensuring its members meet the highest standards of integrity and expertise. CPA Ontario serves and supports its more than 87,000 members and 19,000 students in their qualification and professional development in a wide range of senior positions in public accounting, business, finance, government, not-for-profits and academe. Chartered Professional Accountants are valued by organizations of all types and sizes for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, business insight, management skills and leadership.
- Public accounting is a core CPA activity and always will be. However, more than 80 per cent of Ontario’s more than 87,000 CPAs practise outside public accounting in positions in businesses of every size (as CEOs, CFOs, VPs Finance, etc.), in government, academe or the not-for-profit sector. A large proportion of our more than 19,000 students are also articling or working outside public accounting in a variety of roles in all sectors of the Canadian economy.
Become a Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA)
A CPA designation provides you with the skills and knowledge that are in high demand. Being a CPA is about having the designation that gives you the opportunity to build the career you want. It’s your ticket to a world of opportunities in accounting and finance. CPAs are in demand thanks to their financial expertise, strategic thinking, business insight and management skills. Becoming a CPA requires a student to successfully complete:
- the Academic Prerequisites for admission into the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP);
- the CPA PEP, including the Common Final Examination (CFE) and;
- the Practical Experience Requirement (PER).
Earn the Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance (ACAF)
The ACAF will provide you with the job-ready skills that employers across the country value within the accounting and finance functions of their businesses. The ACAF is an online education program for those aspiring to accounting careers, but not as designated CPAs. Many exciting career opportunities in accounting and finance do not require a professional accounting designation. The ACAF qualifies you for intermediate level accounting jobs in business, not-for-profit, government and accounting firms. This program is designed to enhance your existing education and experience with additional skills employers’ value. The ACAF program is made up of 11 courses: six technical courses and five applied courses. Each course has six to eight weeks of study, followed by a study week and an in-person final examination.
What are Preparatory Courses?
Preparatory courses, previously called the CPA Prerequisite Education Program (CPA PREP), are the courses offered by CPA Ontario that encompass the entrance requirements for both the CPA PEP and the ACAF program.
- For individuals interested in becoming a CPA, the prerequisite course requirement for entry into the CPA PEP can be fulfilled by completing the 14 preparatory courses that cover all of the required subject areas, or equivalent through a post-secondary institution.
- For individuals interested in earning the ACAF, the entry and technical course requirement can be fulfilled by completing 11 preparatory courses, or equivalent through a post-secondary institution.
Really understand the numbers.
In this one-of-a-kind program, you’ll cover all the fundamentals of a standard accounting program — plus you’ll take a deep dive into mathematics.
It’s the perfect foundation for a career as a chartered accountant or a management accountant. You’ll learn from world-recognized professors and accounting in the only professionally accredited Chartered Professional Accountancy program in Ontario that leads to a BMath degree.
Then, you’ll put your knowledge to work during 4 co-op work terms, gaining valuable real-world experience that can be counted toward your CPA designation.
You’ll graduate with a unique Mathematics (BMath) degree and ready for a high-impact career as a CPA.
Fast track your career
Once you graduate, spend just 8 months taking the Master of Accountancy (MAcc) degree and you’ll be ready to write the Common Final Examination of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants.
Meet friends for life
Planning to live in residence? Choose the Accounting and Finance Living-Learning Community and build lasting friendships, participate in residence events, get support from upper-year students, and more.
Annie’s strong background in both mathematics and accounting led her to rewarding accounting co-op positions, where she was able to effectively contribute to the tasks and projects that she was given.
About Math/CPA at Waterloo
Gain experience through the co-op program
Earn a Bachelor of Mathematics
1st Faculty of Mathematics in North America
Waterloo is an international leader in mathematics
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions
- Calculus and Vectors
- Any Grade 12 U English
- One other 4U course
- Recommended courses: Grade 11 U Introduction to Computer Science, Grade 12 M Principles of Financial Accounting
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the high 80s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
- Visa students are now eligible for admission to this program.
- You're strongly encouraged to write the Euclid Mathematics Contest
You may also select the advanced courses for algebra, calculus and computer science if you meet the requirements.
September to December
MATH 135 - Algebra
MATH 137 - Calculus 1
AFM 101 - Introduction to Financial Accounting
AFM 131 - Introduction to Business in North America
Choose one of:
• CS 115 - Introduction to Computer Science
• CS 135 - Designing Functional Programs
January to April
MATH 136 - Linear Algebra 1
MATH 138 - Calculus 2
AFM 102 - Introduction to Managerial Accounting
SPCOM 111 - Leadership Communication
ECON 100 - Principles of Economics
Choose one of:
• CS 116 - Introduction to Computer Science 2
• CS 136 - Elementary Algorithm Design and Data Abstraction
After first year
You'll take a variety of courses in statistics, finance, business, and accounting. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View a full list of courses required for your degree.
Customize your degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree, or by adding an option in Finance.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Student in Accounts, Ernst & Young LLP
- Tax Co-op Associate, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Junior Student in Accounts, BDO Dunwoody LLP
- Senior Student in Accounts, Klasner & Solomon Chartered Accountants LLP
- Business Analyst, TD Bank Financial Group
- Staff Assistant, Scott Rosien & Dempsey
- Business Analyst, Johnson Insurance Limited
- Accountant, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Senior Manager, Collins Barrow Toronto LLP
- Associate, Boston Consulting Group
- Consultant, Oliver, Wyman
- IT Business Analyst, TD Bank Group
- External Auditor, KPMG
- Senior Financial Analyst, Superior Energy
- Senior Auditor, Manulife Financial Corporation
- Staff Accountant, BDO Dunwoody LLP