Critical Lens Essay Outline
In the Critical Lens Essay, the student-writer discusses two works of literature from the perspective of a statement, one that is either provided for them or one they have to choose on their own. The statement marks the scope of the essay, hence the inclusion of “Lens” in Critical Lens Essay.
The student-writer provides a valid interpretation of the statement, disagrees or agrees with it as they have interpreted it, and supports their opinion using specific references to appropriate literary elements from the two works of literature. This process often involves an implementation of research to defend certain assertions in the work.
Critical Lens Essay
Critical Lens Essay Format
How to Write a Five Paragraph Essay Outline
The Critical Lens Essay is most likely be assigned in an English, Literature or Writing course; however, other courses, even outside of the Liberal Arts, may assign students write an essay of this sort.
Outlining the Critical Lens Essay
PARAGRAPH I. Introductory Paragraph
A. Starts with a topic sentence easing the reader into the essay, grabbing their attention in hopes of keeping it as they make their point. The purpose of the TOPIC SENTENCE is to establish the tone and narrow the focus for the rest of the essay.
B. THESIS STATEMENT – the argument that the essay will be making, from start to finish. It is generally brief and to the point and said in an active, assertive tone so that the reader is left with no doubt about the essay’s objective.
C. THREE MAIN POINTS defending, supporting and substantiating the Thesis Statement. Each of the body paragraphs will expound on these three main points, one by one.
PARAGRAPH II. First Body Paragraph
A. TRANSITIONAL PHRASE – introduces the reader to the first point that will be expounded on and which will serve to defend the essay’s main argument. Examples of appropriate transitional phrases for this first body paragraph: First of all, To start off, Firstly.
B. This paragraph illustrates the FIRST BIT OF EVIDENCE THAT EVIDENCES THE ARGUMENT, with a logical explanation as to why the point being made is important and relevant to defending the essay’s argument, the essay’s original Thesis Statement.
PARAGRAPH III. Second Body Paragraph
A. TRANSITIONAL PHRASE – introduces the reader to the second point that will be expounded on that will serve to defend the essay’s main argument. Examples of appropriate transitional phrases in this paragraph: Next, Subsequently, Also, Secondly, Then.
B. THE SECOND BIT OF EVIDENCE THAT DEFENDS THE ESSAY’S ARGUMENT, with a logical explanation as to why the point being made is important and relevant to the essay’s argument, and how it ultimately upholds the essay’s original Thesis Statement, perhaps adding more perspective to the issue being dissected.
PARAGRAPH IV. Third Body Paragraph
A. TRANSITIONAL PHRASE – introduces the reader to the third point that will be expounded on that will serve to defend the essay’s main argument. Examples of appropriate transitional phrases in this paragraph: Lastly, Thirdly, Also, Finally.
B. The LAST BIT OF EVIDENCE THAT DEFENDS THE ARGUMENT, once again with a logical explanation as to why the point being made is important and relevant to the essay’s argument, and how it ultimately defends the essay’s original Thesis Statement.
PARAGRAPH V. Conclusion Paragraph
A. A CONCLUSION on the essay’s Thesis, the point it sought to make, and the argument it has attempted to defend.
B. Restatement of the original Thesis, as well as the main points that supported it and legitimized it.
C. Consideration of additional points that could have been used to defend the essay’s argument, which may raise additional questions that pertain to the original argument, even to the extent of offering a counter-argument.
Have an idea for your critical lens essay but cannot find the right words to express it? Feel free to contact our writers, they'll help you to write any kind of paper.
What happens to the essay once I have received it?
View all questions
Celebrating 10 Years in Business! We offer:
- PhD-level professionals
- On-time delivery guarantee
- Automatic plagiarism check
- 100% authentic or your money back
- Customer information remains strictly confidential
What is a Critical Lens Essay
The phrase "critical lens" has fantastic in addition to negative meanings. you could write a critical lens essay that consents absolutely with the analyzing. The words “critical lens” describes your attitude whilst you examine the article. This mind-set is first-rate described as "detached evaluation," that means which you weigh the coherence of the reading, the completeness of its information, and so on, before you accept or reject it.
How to write a Critical Lens Essay
A critical lens essay or evaluation begins with an analysis or exposition of the analyzing, article-by-article, e book through book. every analysis ought to encompass the subsequent points:
1. A summary of the author's factor of view, inclusive of
a short announcement of the author's most important idea (i.e., thesis or topic)
an outline of the critical "information" and features of reasoning the writer used to support the main idea
a summary of the author's specific or implied values
a presentation of the author's end or guidelines for movement
2. An assessment of the writer's paintings, which includes
an assessment of the "facts" provided on the idea of correctness, relevance, and whether or not or now not pertinent statistics had been neglected
an assessment or judgment of the logical consistency of the author's argument
an appraisal of the writer's values in terms of the way you feel or with the aid of an widely wide-spread general
Once the evaluation is finished, take a look at your work! Ask your self, "Have I read all the relevant (or assigned) fabric?" "Do i've complete citations?" If no longer, complete the work! the following steps are how this is finished.
Now you may begin to write the primary draft of your expository essay/literature evaluate. outline the conflicting arguments, if any; this can be a part of the body of your expository essay/literature overview.
Ask your self, "Are there different possible positions on this be counted?" if so, briefly outline them. decide on your very own role (it is able to believe one of the competing arguments) and kingdom explicitly the reason(s) why you maintain that position by using outlining the steady records and displaying the relative insignificance of opposite statistics. Coherently nation your position with the aid of integrating your critiques of the works you study. This will become your conclusions segment.
Briefly state your position, state why the problem you are running on is critical, and suggest the vital questions that need to be answered; this is your "advent." Push speedy through this draft--do not worry about spelling, do not look for exactly the proper phrase, don't problem your self with grammar, don't worry overmuch about sequence--this is why this is known as a "difficult draft." deal with these during your revisions. The factor of a hard draft is to get your ideas on paper. once they're there, you can address the superficial (even though very critical) problems.
Bear in mind this at the same time as writing:
- The critical lens essay is informative; it emphasizes the literary paintings being studied rather than the feelings and reviews of the person writing approximately the literary work; in this form of writing, all claims made approximately the work want to be sponsored up with proof.
- The distinction among feelings and facts is simple--it does no longer count what you trust approximately a e book or play or poem; what matters is what you can show approximately it, drawing upon evidence located within the text itself, in biographies of the writer, in critical discussions of the literary work, etc.
- Criticism does now not mean you have to attack the work or the writer; it truely means you are wondering critically about it, exploring it and discussing your findings.
- In lots of cases, you're teaching your audience something new approximately the text.
- The literary essay normally employs a critical and objective tone. (from time to time, depending to your audience, it's far all proper to use a lighter or maybe humorous tone, however this isn't typically the case).
- Use a "claims and proof" method. Be specific approximately the points you are making approximately the novel, play, poem, or essay you're discussing and again up those factors with evidence that your target market will find credible and suitable. in case you want to say, "The war of the Worlds is a unique about how men and women react in the face of annihilation, and maximum of them do not behave in a specially courageous or noble manner," say it, and then find evidence that helps your claim.
- The usage of evidence from the textual content itself is regularly your nice alternative. if you need to argue, "isolation drives Frankenstein's creature to end up evil," back it up with events and speeches from the radical itself.
- Some other form of evidence you may depend upon is complaint, what other writers have claimed approximately the paintings of literature you're inspecting. you could treat those critics as "professional witnesses," whose thoughts offer help for claims you're making approximately the e-book. In maximum instances, you should now not really offer a precis of what critics have said approximately the literary work.
- In reality, one place to begin might be to examine what a critic has said approximately one e-book or poem or story after which a) ask if the equal aspect is true of any other e book or poem or story and a pair of) ask what it manner that it's far or is not real.
- Do not attempt to do the whole lot. try to do one aspect properly. And watch out for subjects that are too wide; recognition your dialogue on a particular aspect of a work rather than trying to say the whole lot that could probable be said about it.
- Make sure your dialogue is properly prepared. every section have to guide the primary concept. every section must logically comply with and lead into the sections that come earlier than it and after it. within every paragraph, sentences must be logically related to one another.
- Take into account that in maximum instances you want to hold your tone severe and goal.
- Make sure your essay is freed from mechanical and stylistic mistakes. in case you quote or summarize (and you will possibly need to try this) make sure you follow the perfect format (MLA format is the maximum not unusual one whilst examining literature) and make sure you offer a well formatted list of works referred to on the quit of your essay.
Critical Lens Essay Topics
It is straightforward to choose the subjects for critical lens essay kind. for example, you could pick a unique or a movie to speak about. it is critical to select the subject you have an interest and acquainted with. here are the examples of popular critical lens essay subjects.
- Doping in the Olympics
- Changing gender roles
- Factors leading to juvenile delinquency
- Wonders of the ancient world
- Ways of managing Inflation
- Ways of conserving the environment
- Impact of technology on healthcare industry
- The best places to tour around the world
- Importance of religion
- GMO food effects to our bodies